Both iOS and Android version can share the same Parse database
Aug 11th 2017 ** MAJOR UPDATE ** Added image attachment feature for Questions: now you can add an image while posting a Question. So I've edited the following things: • Added an attachment button into the question_cell.xml file and set its Visibility property as invisible • Edited the Home.java and Search.java's queryQuestions() method to hide/show the attachmentButt instance in the cells, added the necessary code to upload an image while submitting a Question • Added an extra Activity called ImagePreview and its relative image_preview.xml file • Added add_attachment_butt.png and add_attachment_butt.png in the drawable folder • Added these lines into Configs.java: public static String QUESTIONS_IMAGE = "image"; public static String QUESTIONS_HAS_IMAGE = "hasImage"; • Added compile 'com.commit451:PhotoView:1.2.4' into the dependencies of build.gradle • Moved 'queryQuestions()' from onStart() to onCreate() • Removed the onCreateOptionsMenu() in the Home.java -> replaced it by a SwipeRefreshLayout control • Embedded the qListView ListView into a SwipeRefreshLayout container in home.xml • Added a function in Configs.java to round large numbers into K or M abbreviation, and edited the likes and answers amount lines in Home.java and Search.java -> queryQuestions() IMPORTANT: IF THIS IS AN UPDATE FOR YOU, then you must of course compare your old project files with the updated one of this version, then, after updating your own project, run the app and submit a test question in order to make the app create an extra column in your Parse Dashboard -> Questions class called "hasImage". Then you must enter that class in your Dashboard and set all the empty cells of the "hasImage" column as False. This is a one-time job, you won't have to do that anymore, the app will handle it. • Changed the App Icons in the drawable folder
July 20th 2017 • Updated targetSdkVersion and compileSdkVersion to 26 in build.gradle • Edited the image picked methods in EditProfile.java • Added a provider_paths.xml file into res/xml • Added a <provider> tag into Manifest.xml • Added a Storage permission request in the onStart() method in Home.java
Jun 1st 2017 • Added a scaleBitmapToMaxSize method in Configs.java, in order to optimize the image uploading system • Edited 'onActivityResult()' method in EditProfile.java
Apr 27th 2017 • Edited the code that gets a user's avatar into the 'showActivity()' method in ActivityScreen.java, now the app won't crash if a user doesn't have an avatar
AskIt is a Universal App Template where you can post any question and have users answering, you can do the same on other user’s questions. Users can also like questions from the Home screen, or search for something in the Search screen.
Since its backend is by Parse you don’t have to buy any domain/hosting, there are NO php files to upload to a web server so you’ll save some money for sever side.
AskIt is a native Android Studio project, Universal, Push Notifications for likes and answers via OneSignal, easy to customize, backend with Parse SDK hosted on http://back4app.com
About Parse SDK and back4app
Read this article for more info about back4app and Parse SDK: https://hubpages.com/technology/Parse-SDK-will-not-shutdown-in-thanks-to-back4app
Can I host Parse Server on my own server?
Yes, although I don’t provide support for the setup process, you can read the official Guide here: http://parseplatform.org
What about free support for this template?
I can offer free support for bugs encountered in the original code. Instead, if you’ve edited the code and messed something up with it, I may apply some fee to fix it either via TeamViewer or by checking your app project files directly on my computer.
How do I rename the app’s package name?
Read this tutorial to learn how to rename a package name: https://hubpages.com/technology/Android-How-to-rename-an-app-package
Should I use the latest version of Android Studio to edit this template?
Yes, I always update my apps to the latest version of the IDE and you also should make sure you’ve updated the Android Tools to their latest version by the Android SDK manager.
The demo APK crashes on startup
Make sure that the minimum Android version of your device is the one listed in the FEATURES section below. If the problem persist, please contact me by my profile’s contact form and send me the Logcat message of you get when the app crashes along with the steps you made to reproduce the crash. Please note that not all real devices print an error Logcat message, in this case just run the APK into the Android Studio’s emulator and you’ll surely get the red messages about your issue.
How do I remove AdMob banner ads?
- Enter the .xml files where there’s an AdView and remove its code:<com.google.android.gms.ads.AdView android:id="@+id/admobBanner" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" ads:adSize="BANNER" ads:adUnitId="@string/ADMOB_BANNER_UNIT_ID" android:layout_alignParentBottom="true" android:layout_centerHorizontal="true"> </com.google.android.gms.ads.AdView>
- Enter the .java files where there’s an AdRequest instance into its onCreate() method and remove its code:// Init AdMob banner AdView mAdView = (AdView) findViewById(R.id.admobBanner); AdRequest adRequest = new AdRequest.Builder().build(); mAdView.loadAd(adRequest);
- Lastly, remove the play-services-ads reference in the build.gradle file:compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:+'
- Android Studio 2.2 – Universal – Android 5.0+
- AdMob banners
- Facebook login
- Post/answer/like questions
- Attach an image to your Questions
- Push Notifications for likes and answers through OneSignal
- Report abusive contents (questions or answers)
- Search for questions by keywords
- PDF User Guide and PSD included
- Easy to customize | Well commented code
- Apple Mac or Windows PC with their latest OS version installed
- The latest version of Android Studio and some knowledge about its UI interface
- Photoshop or any other image editor software
- A Google Developer account to submit apps to the Play Store
- An AdMob account to generate your own banner UNIT ID
- A free account on back4app.com
Have fun with AskIt, and don’t forget to rate it on your Downloads page!
We’ve recently found out that some developers have bought our app templates, reskinned them just a bit and put them on sale on other source code markets similar to CodeCanyon, saying that they developed and own such source codes.
That is a serious copyright infringement, developers who buy our templates are allowed to reskin and sell them as apps on the App Store (accordingly to the License type they’ve purchased a template for), but are not allowed to put our original source codes for sale on source code markets, including CodeCanyon. We will report developers who made copyright infringements to the competent authorities. Thanks.