Envato Market Refund Rules
Information for Customers
Hi, we’re Envato and welcome to the Envato Market Refund Rules. Because we are a platform, these rules outline what you can expect from the authors of the items you buy. They apply to all authors and customers.
The products that authors sell on the platform are digital goods and cannot be "returned", so your entitlement to a refund is designed with this in mind. Of course, in addition to these rules, each country has its own laws surrounding refunds, and these local laws are not excluded if they apply to you.
Please note that we are unable to process refunds for products where the date of purchase is older than:
180 days and over - For Themeforest and CodeCanyon supported items
30 days and over - For Themeforest and CodeCanyon unsupported items, AudioJungle, VideoHive, GraphicRiver, PhotoDune, 3DOcean items, and/or for any products purchased and not downloaded within 30 days.
Before you ask for a refund from an author
If you have purchased an item from our “Web Themes and Templates” or “Code” category on Envato Market and you are experiencing a technical issue with the item we recommend that you contact the author of that item and seek assistance. Often they’ll be able to help troubleshoot your problem.
Asking for refunds from authors via the Envato platform
We understand, however, that sometimes the author may not be able to solve your issue or there may be circumstances in which a refund is warranted. In this case, here are the circumstances in which we would expect an author to provide you with a refund:
- Item is "not as described" or the item doesn’t work the way it should.
- Item has a security vulnerability
- Item support is promised but not provided
- Item support extension not used
- Items that have not been downloaded
- Resolving disputes - asking Envato to help
Item is "not as described" or the item doesn’t work the way it should.
If an item doesn’t work the way it should then the author is required to promptly fix the issue by updating the item. An item is "not as described" if it is materially different from the item description or preview. If the issue can’t be fixed or it turns out that the item is “not as described” then you would be entitled to a refund from the author.
Item has a security vulnerability
If an item contains a security vulnerability and can’t easily be fixed you may be entitled to a refund from the author. If the item can be fixed, then the author should do so promptly by updating the item. If the item contains a security vulnerability that is not patched in an appropriate timeframe then we would expect the author to provide a refund for the item.
Item support is promised but not provided
If an author advertises their item as including item support and/or you purchase an item support extension, you have a current support entitlement (including an extension if you purchase it). If you are not provided that support in accordance with the item support policy the author should provide you with a refund of the costs of the item (if item support was included), or the item support purchase (if support was required during the extension period). Please note that unused Item Support Extensions are non-refundable.
Items that have not been downloaded
If you have not downloaded a purchased item within 30 days from the date of purchase, you may be eligible for a refund. You will be required to provide the author of that item with your purchase code in order for the author to verify your claim that you have not downloaded an item. Although we consider 30 days to be a reasonable time, if you have different rights under applicable consumer law, we don’t exclude those laws and you may have a longer period to claim a refund if you have purchased for personal use and haven’t downloaded the item.
Resolving disputes - asking Envato to help
If you and an author can’t come to an agreement about a refund, you can raise a dispute and have Envato investigate the matter. We may ask you to provide supporting documentation or evidence. Any refund issued by Envato is entirely discretionary. We will make a decision based on all available information and you agree that our decision is final. Purchases older than 180 days will not be eligible for dispute.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, neither Envato nor the authors are obliged to give policy refunds in any of the situations listed below.
- You don’t want it after you’ve downloaded it
- The item did not meet your expectations or you feel the item is of low quality
- You simply change your mind
- You bought an item by mistake
- You do not have sufficient expertise to use the item
- You claim that you are entitled to a refund but do not provide sufficient information as to why you are entitled to a refund
- You can no longer access the item because it has been removed or the author who previously provided the item is no longer active on our platform (we advise you to download items as soon as you have purchased them to avoid this situation).
- Your product purchase was made over 180 days ago (for Themeforest and CodeCanyon supported items) or over 30 days ago (for Themeforest and CodeCanyon unsupported items, AudioJungle, VideoHive, GraphicRiver, PhotoDune, 3DOcean items).
Version 1.2 - Effective date: October 2023.