Do you need to use the same images on different network sites? If yes, then this is the plugin you need.
For complete demo – 3 mins – Click on Video Preview above!
WordPress Multisite Shared Media does just what it says: makes the uploaded media available across network. It suits perfectly for multi-language setups, and yes, it works with Featured Images and Woocommerce Product Galleries.
- Enable / disable media sharing between network sites
- Enable / disable media deletion across network sites
- Replicate all existing media from main site across network
- Technical stuff: Translation ready
- Technical stuff: Only references to the media files are replicated, files are hosted centrally, resulting in savings in disk space -> hosting costs.
Quick start guide
IMPORTANT! Before you install the plugin, take a full backup of your files and database.
We will provide assistance in getting the plugin to work, but it’s your responsibility to make sure you can recover in case things go bad.
- Install the plugin following the steps f. ex. here
- On dashboard, go to My Sites > Network Admin > Settings > Multisite Shared Media
- Choose the desired settings:
- Share media across network – when you upload a media file, it will be available on all other network sites too
- Remove media from all sites upon media removal – when you remove a media file from any of the sites, it will disappear from all other sites too
- After you enable sharing, an additional button will appear: Replicate all existing media from main site. – This tool will make all existing media on the main site available to all other sites too. The process may take some time if there are hundreds or thousands of images, but you can break/pause the process, or even just close the browser if you need to, the tool will continue its operation from where it left off.
- After you have the setup you need, hit Save Settings, and you are ready to go.
- Important! If you have existing images on the secondary sites (that is, other than main site), you need to move the existing images from wp-content/uploads/sites/X directories to wp-content/uploads. This will ensure that the images stay accessible.
To move the files on command line, you can mimic the following:
somebody: ~$ cd /var/www/msm/wp-content/uploads/ somebody: /var/www/msm/wp-content/uploads$ cp sites/[the-secondary-site-id]/* . -R somebody:/var/www/msm/wp-content/uploads$ rm sites/[the-secondary-site-id] -rf
PS. There is a Demo Video which guides you through all these steps except plugin installation, see it above by clicking on Video Preview!
- Possibility for admin to define which sites are synchronized with each other
NEW! We invite to collaborate on possible future features on our Trello-board for WordPress Multisite Shared Media. Welcome join the party!