Crop images with Slim, a cross platform Image Cropping and Uploading plugin. It’s very easy to setup and features beautiful graphics and animations.
Quick feature overview:
- Responsive and beautifully animated
- Optimised for fast performance
- Crop, rotate and upload images
- Supports touch interaction on mobile devices
- Auto correct mobile image rotation
- Can upload over AJAX or form POST
- Auto crop and auto resize of images
- Rotate images
- Loads dropped images and URLs
- A treat for the eyes
Slim is build to work standalone but is very flexible, the download package offers wrappers for:
- Angular 1.x
Slim integrates nicely with both Bootstrap and Foundation.
Give it a test run:
Slim ships with extensive documentation on all it’s capabilities.
Just contact us through the form on the Support page, we’re always happy to help out with any questions or problems.
“This plugin is incredible. It is very well built and very well documented. The design is obviously very clean and sleek as you can tell from the demo, but I was surprised how easy it was to implement. The seller even provides server side scripts that you can use to easily handle the output and saving the images. The number of customizable options is incredible and setup is really easy.”
“Quick response to questions and a great product.”
“Perfect … easy to integrate and fast code updates”
“Great, easy to use plugin for image upload and cropping. Sleek design that will fit the look and feel of any modern website. Had some issues with implementing into a complicated ajax form and the customer support was superb! Great job!”
“This plugin definitely scores 100000000% with it’s awesome support. The author replied all my questions in record time and even went as far as releasing an update to fix a bug the same day I complained about it. This is definitely one of the best plugins on Envato for image manipulation and a must have for every website.”
“Excellent support & awesome plugin!”
Beautiful Animations | Today, it’s all about a nice and smooth user experience, this is where Slim delivers big time.
Responsive | In this day and age, of course this plugin is responsive.
Mobile Friendly | Slim has been optimized to also work with touch input on mobile devices.
Browser Cropping | Cropping is done on the client, no image manipulation script required on the server.
Crop | Specify the output ratio, be it square (1:1), portrait (3:4), movie mode (16:9) a custom ratio or the ratio of the input image, Slim has got you covered.
Rotate | Rotate the image to a 90, 180 or 270 degrees angle.
AutoCrop | Slim will automatically crop the image to best fit the specified output ratio.
AutoRotate | Mobile devices can embed rotation information in photographs, this often results in rotated or incorrectly read imagery. Slim automatically corrects this and presents the photo the way it was intended.
AutoSize | Specify the maximum size of the output image and Slim will scale down the image to fit perfectly. Tip: Use AutoSize with a square ratio to quickly crop avatars.
Drop URLs | Loads dropped URLs from other websites just as easy as it loads dropped images.
AJAX and Form POST | Upload cropped images with AJAX or with a traditional form post. When using AJAX Slim shows a neat progress indicator.
Very Fast | Slim’s code is optimized for performance. On top of optimal code paths, Slims animations assist in making the cropping experience feel smooth and fast.
Standalone | No client-side or server-side frameworks or libraries are required.
PHP Helper Class | Handy PHP helper class included. This makes it easy for you to get to the uploaded images. If you’re planning to use Slim with ASP.Net / NodeJS or any other server side language this file should give you a good indication on how to setup Slim on the server.
Bootstrap and Foundation Support | Tested and works nicely with both Bootstrap and Foundation.
React, Angular and Vue Wrappers | The package contains wrapper modules for both Angular 1.x, 2.0 and React.
Easy to Configure | Setting up Slim is a matter of adding some data attributes to your HTML and presto, you’re ready to crop and upload images.
Edit Server Images | Slim can also load images via URL, this allows you to use Slim to quickly crop server images.
Change Labels | All texts and icons can be configured using data attributes.
And Much More | Read about all Slim’s features
The following articles describe how to add additional much requested functionality to Slim.
- Internet Explorer 10+
- Opera (Not Opera mini as it lacks the required Canvas features)
- Safari 8+ on OSX & iOS 8.4+ (Safari on Windows is no longer supported by Apple)
- Android 4.4.4+
- Installation instructions
- Example project
- PHP Upload Script. Plus examples on how to use for From POST and AJAX uploading. The product website uses these exact same scripts for uploading.
For animations Slim makes use of Snabbt.js, blurring is done using Stack Blur and images are transformed in to manageable canvas elements with LoadImage. All three libraries available for commercial use under the MIT license.
4.18.0 | 29-05-2018
data-will-crop-initialcallback, a method to set an initial crop rectangle based on the input image. Useful when combining Slim with automatic face detection libraries.
4.17.1 | 28-05-2018
- Fix problem where editor would not work when min size is equal to input image size
4.17.0 | 14-05-2018
- Add error state for invalid local urls
4.16.5 | 08-05-2018
- Fix problem where Vue would throw an error when destroying the component.
4.16.4 | 25-04-2018
- Fix problem where dragging the crop area on iOS would move the viewport.
4.16.3 | 08-03-2018
- Fix problem where autocrop would not work correctly.
4.16.2 | 21-02-2018
- Fix problem where multiple taps on the rotate button rendered an incorrect crop rectangle.
4.16.1 | 01-02-2018
- Fix problem where Slim instance was not passed as last argument to
4.16.0 | 29-12-2017
data-device-pixel-ratiosetting to control the sharpness of preview images on retina devices. Default is
1. Set to
'auto'to automatically detect. Higher resolution preview images might have a significant performance impact.
data-did-throw-errorto monitor errors.
4.15.0 | 18-12-2017
data-upload-methodto override request method type, defaults to POST
4.14.5 | 16-11-2017
- Fixed problem where square images could be scaled down to below the min size
4.14.4 | 16-10-2017
- Fixed problem where Safari would not open editor a second time in certain instances.
4.14.3 | 12-09-2017
- Fixed problem where dropped base64 data would not load correctly and throw an error.
4.14.2 | 24-08-2017
setForceSizemethod to set new forced size after load.
4.14.1 | 15-08-2017
- Fixed problem where adding new files was no longer possible on IE11 when using instant edit mode.
- Fixed problem where fetch method would no longer load remote urls.
4.14.0 | 01-08-2017
will-requestcallback, will now also receive the data object being sent to the server.
4.13.0 | 22-07-2017
will-loadcallbacks that can be used to modify the XMLHttpRequest objects for fetching and loading image urls, similar to
4.12.0 | 11-07-2017
requestOutputmethod to request the current output data.
data-force-min-sizeattribute, set to false to allow output images to be smaller than required input,
4.11.1 | 10-07-2017
data-service-formatattribute to determine service output format when using a service function. Set to
"file"to send a file.
- Fix problem where wrapping label caused file browse event to fire twice.
- Fix problem where Slim would throw an error if post was set to
- Fix problem where file dropped on button would be opened by browser.
4.11.0 | 05-06-2017
- Add logic that copies JPEG meta data to output file when uploading async. Enable by setting
- Fix Vue wrapper as it did not copy over component inner elements.
4.10.1 | 01-06-2017
- Fix magic quote problems on PHP versions prior to 5.4.
- Fix supported test on UC Browser, now correctly reports false.
4.10.0 | 18-05-2017
- Add VueJS wrapper.
- Add initialImage property for React, Angular 2 and VueJS.
- Improved Angular 2 wrapper code formatting.
4.9.0 | 16-05-2017
- Add slim instance as last argument to all callback methods so it’s easier to access Slim when the scope of the callback has been changed.
4.8.0 | 09-05-2017
- Add attribute
data-popover-class-nameto set custom class name to popover element on open.
- Add scalar rounding correction when data-min-size is set so output image is always minimum the min size, standard min size has been adjusted to 0,0.
- Fix bug where fetching remote images would not work if fetcher url contained query string
4.7.1 | 04-05-2017
- Add function that reads a hidden input with Slim data object as initial image.
- Add data-initial-image for use in Angular 1.x template.
4.7.0 | 25-04-2017
- Fixed function scope for data-service method, was not scoped to slim instance.
- Improved Angular 1.x wrapper, now supports custom service function and better handles different project setups. Note that this is a breaking change, some code adjustments are required.
- Improved Slim.php regex implementations (moved from
4.6.5 | 20-04-2017
- Add option to set data-service to a function, Slim will then call this function and pass the FormData object for upload.
4.6.4 | 30-03-2017
- Fixed bug where cancel event never fired
4.6.3 | 21-03-2017
- Fixed bug where crop offsets was a negative value which in turn caused problems in IE and Edge.
- Fixed bug where cropper without file input would throw an error on slow connections.
4.6.2 | 17-03-2017
- Fixed bug in IE11 that prevented files from being dropped.
- Improved image resize algorithm output quality
4.6.1 | 10-03-2017
data-drop-replaceattribute which when set to false will disable drop image to replace currently loaded image.
- Fixed problem where long error labels would break out of cropper area on IE11.
4.6.0 | 08-03-2017
- Add drop URL functionality. You can now drop a URL and Slim will load the remote image.
data-did-confirmcallback which is called after the user presses the confirm button in the image editor
data-did-cancelcallback which is called after the user presses the cancel button in the image editor
filterinformation to PHP data object.
- Improved drop area so user can drop a new image to replace the current image
.supportedproperty, now more accurate. Will return false when not supported, will show error message when creating a cropper on unsupported browser.
- Improved Angular 1.x wrapper, now supports data binding for attributes mapping to internal setter methods (service, ratio, size and rotation).
- Fixed problem where web page would scroll behind image editor while dragging crop area.
- Fixed problem where long labels would break out of cropper area on IE11.
- Fixed problem where removing an image or loading a new image by file selector would throw an error
4.5.2 | 22-02-2017
- Fixed problem where right-to-left text direction would cause problems in the image editor.
4.5.1 | 21-02-2017
- Fixed problem where uploading both input and output to server in sync mode would not work.
4.5.0 | 15-02-2017
- Improved image resizing algorithm.
- Improved file name for unknown files, name is now set to current date and time.
data-filter-sharpenattribute, set to value between 0 and 100 to sharpen image after resize. Default is 0, a value between 10 and 20 gives the illusion of improved image quality.
- Fixed file name being “undefined” for downloaded files.
4.4.0 | 08-02-2017
- Improved async crop output image uploading. Now uploads file instead of base64 encoded data. Set
"true"if you wish to still send base64 data. Note that synchronous uploading still sends base64 data as it’s not possible to “write” a file to a file input field.
4.3.0 | 06-02-2017
- Improved upload button, will now hide by default when loading initial image, can be enabled with
- Improved naming and handling of unknown files, base64 data or file data is now named with current date time.
- Add option to pass server errors to client status message using the
4.2.1 | 01-02-2017
- Fix problem with
data-pushprogress indicator not being accurate.
- Fix problem where data was saved to hidden input before confirming instant edit crop.
- Now hides label when a preview image is shown.
- Add label to indicate loading image state.
- Improved loading indicator visibility while loading image.
4.2.0 | 30-01-2017
- Fix problem with image position when opening cropper after rotation.
- Fix problem where Slim did automatically set the internal canvas size. This will now have to be supplied manually. The default size has been set to 4096×4096, this means that bigger images will automatically be scaled down.
- Improved crop rectangle, it now holds shape when rotating if crop ratio is 1:1 or set to free.
setRotationend points to API to manually set image rotation.
data-rotationattribute to set initial image rotation
4.1.6 | 29-01-2017
- Fix file drop problems on Firefox.
4.1.5 | 28-01-2017
- Added style resets to image elements inside Slim to override any theme layout styles.
4.1.4 | 27-01-2017
internalCanvasSizeproperty. Which can be set to limit the internal canvas size Slim uses to load images. If a browser limits the canvas size this can be used to prevent overflowing the limit. Slim will automatically set this based on your
- Improved performance of image editor.
4.1.3 | 18-01-2017
- Fixed problem where the progress indicator would literally spiral out of control while uploading a file.
- Fixed progress indicator not showing 100% progress state.
4.1.2 | 16-01-2017
- Fixed problem where
Slim.destroydid not correctly remove image editor element.
- Fixed problem where server response status codes between 200 and 300 where not interpreted as successful.
4.1.1 | 16-12-2016
- Improved slim handling size information. Now also accepts string based dimensions on options object.
4.1.0 | 15-12-2016
setRatiomethods which both have a callback that returns the data after size and ratio have been applied.
- Fixed scale of rotate button.
- Fixed update of crop rectangle in image editor after ratio change.
4.0.2 | 08-12-2016
- Added attribute
data-rotate-buttonwhich can be set to “false” to hide the rotate button.
- Fixed a bug where
data-pushmode combined with
data-instant-editwould push second image before editing.
- Fixed problem where download functionality would use input name and type instead of output.
4.0.1 | 23-11-2016
- Fixed a bug where
data-instant-editmode would remove image on editor cancel when initial image was set.
4.0.0 | 21-11-2016
The way input and output file names are now stored is a bit different. Input will always be the name of the input file. Output will contain the name as modified by for instance
data-force-type. It’s important to test this when upgrading from an earlier version.
- Improved input data loading. When posting
inputdata Slim now sends the original file instead of the Base64 version.
- Improved sync and async php files, they now save both input and output data when supplied with
- Improved internal image loading logic. Now has more accurate data on image type and size.
- Improved usage of memory, Slim now has a smaller memory footprint.
data-instant-editwhere when cancelled the image would still be loaded.
- Fixed problem with loading attribute options on IE10
3.4.1 | 20-11-2016
- Fix problem where Firefox 50 would prevent files from being dropped.
3.4.0 | 15-11-2016
data-force-sizeattribute which allows forcing the output size to a certain width and height.
3.3.2 | 07-11-2016
- Fixes to Angular 2 wrapper to make it work with final version of Angular 2.
- Fixes button sizes and padding sizes in image editor.
3.3.1 | 27-10-2016
- Improved React wrapper so works with server rendering.
- Improved PHP file documentation.
- Fixed data-force-type attribute, it was not setting the force type correctly.
- Fixed React Unknown Prop Warning.
- Fixed problem where crop output did not conform to minimum size / ratio.
- Fixed rotate button title not being set correctly.
- Fixed rotate button size which was a little bit small.
3.3.0 | 19-10-2016
- Added meta property to options object so metadata can now be passed on manual init.
- Improved metadata attribute. Data set by the attribute is now available on init.
- Improved and optimized attribute parsing logic.
3.2.0 | 15-10-2016
- Added meta attribute to quickly add meta data to server request.
- Added option to change rotate button title and class name.
3.1.1 | 29-09-2016
- Added willRequest callback method to intercept XMLHttpRequest to make it possible to add custom request headers.
- Added example on how to remove image files from the server after the user taps the bin button.
- Improved file name security in Slim PHP script.
3.1.0 | 23-09-2016
- Added rotation function. Images can now be rotated 90, 180 or 270 degrees using a button in the popup.
3.0.3 | 06-09-2016
- Fixed a severe bug with the previous update where selecting a new image would no longer work.
- Improved Angular 1.x plugin inner workings.
3.0.2 | 05-09-2016
- Fixed problem where Base64 images would not load on Safari because of cross origin related errors.
3.0.1 | 21-08-2016
- Fixed jQuery constructor bug, where creating croppers would only work by passing an options object.
3.0.0 | 19-08-2016
This version contains changes to the jQuery API. These are small but incompatible with the previous version of Slim. The documentation has been updated to clearly illustrate all the changes.
- Improved jQuery API, now more in line with other jQuery plugins.
- Improved parsing of data uris now only tests against initial set of characters.
2.3.2 | 12-08-2016
- Fixed problem where second attempt at cropping image would incorrectly render cropping controls.
2.3.1 | 09-08-2016
- Fixed blocked page controls after closing editor on old iOS versions and old Android browsers.
2.3.0 | 06-08-2016
- Added property to update
sizeoutput after initialisation.
- Added property to update
- Fixed bug where Slim would not function on certain Android browsers.
2.2.1 | 28-07-2016
- Added Slim ES6 Module for use with React and Angular 2
- Improved React component setup
- Improved Angular component setup
- Improved Angular 2 component setup
- Fixed mimetype array problems caused by spaces
- Fixed React module by adding exports
2.2.0 | 21-07-2016
- Added Slim React component
- Added Slim Angular directive
- Added Slim Angular 2 component
data-save-initial-imageattribute which when set to
truesaves initial image data after initialisation.
- Added public crop method
crop(rect, callback), this method expects input to adhere to bounds of image and the image ratio.
- Added public
edit()method to summon the editor manually
- Added instant edit mode, set
data-instant-editto true to summon the image editor on file drop
data-force-type, set to jpg or png to force the output type.
- Added fallback for files without extension, Slim now treats these files as png’s.
- Improved handling of server response. If server responds with object and object contains status property, checks if it is “failure” if so, throws “unknown error”.
- Fixed Internet Explorer 10 problem where second file upload would no longer work.
- Fixed problems with extensions being uppercase
- Fixed rendering problems on older iOS browsers
- Removed stray log statement in version 2.1.0
- Removed minified versions of Commonjs and AMD wrappers as these will probably be minified in a custom build step
2.1.0 | 12-07-2016
didSavemethod which is called after saving the data
.dataBase64property which returns the data in final form (similar to the format in which it is saved / sent to the server)
- Added JPEG compression control property
data-jpeg-compressionfor output image
- Added basic Slim example setup to package
- Improved error testing in server scripts, if an output image is empty, it is no longer saved.
- Fixed default JPEG compression being 100% resulting in bigger file upload then necessary. Compression now defaults to browser which is around 90%.
- Fixed query string in url causing problems
- Fixed non existing file name would cause problems
- Fixed bug where Safari would not load the same image twice
- Fixed CSS icons not working in uncompressed “slim.css”
- Fixed jQuery methods not returning Slim return values
- Removed automatic replacing on preview image by uploaded server version
2.0.0 | 07-07-2016
This version contains changes to callback names and callback scope, if you update from a previous versions you’ll have to rename the callback methods (exact changes are outlined below).
- Changes between Slim versions are now added to package and can be found in the file “changes.html”
- Streamlined callback methods, switched to did / will syntax.
thisin a callback now refers to Slim instance it belongs to.
onInit(slim)has been changed to
onComplete(error, response)has been changed to
didUpload(error, data, response)
onRemove(slim, data)has been changed to
onBeforeRemove(slim, remove)has been changed to
onTransform(data, ready)has been changed to
onSave(data, ready)has been changed to
- Fixed download button not working on Firefox
- Fixed download button not working on Internet Explorer
- Fixed status messages not being removed after click on file input
- Fixed use of “image/*” accept attribute not correctly passing types to dropper
- Fixed invalid file message not showing on Windows and Linux when uploading files with file upload dialog
- Fixed showing previously loaded image when uploading image with same name
- Added status message when image is loaded that is smaller then data min size
- Added didLoad method to allow custom validation of user input
- Added element getter,
.elementnow returns root element of Slim cropper. Combined with the fixed callback scope you can now use jQuery
$(this.element)within a callback to refer to the root of the cropper.
- Added recursive mode to
mkdirin “Slim.php” method so
saveFilecan now also create sub directories like
foo/bar/instead of only
- Improved output, now only updates field value when user makes changes, unless is single image cropper
- Improved save callback, now only get’s called when user makes changes, unless is single image cropper
- Updated docs
1.1.1 | 27-06-2016
- Fixed bug where free ratio cropper area did not scale properly.
onBeforeRemovalcallback so you can optionally ask if the user is sure of a image removal.
1.1.0 | 23-06-2016
- Added option to set initial crop coordinates using
- Added property to retrieve a clone of the current crop data
- Added feature where Slim cleans data sent to server but leaves
metaproperty alone for custom values.
- Added flag to data object to indicate crop type (‘auto’, ‘manual’ or ‘initial’ based on type of crop).
- Improved async uploading functionality. The server response (including the file name and path) is now stored in a hidden field to unlock this data when submitting the form
- Improved load method, it now returns resulting data object in callback
- Improved performance when Slim is not attached to the DOM
- Fixed bug where on iOS8 the popover would keep blocking the view after it closed
- Fixed problem when removing file by clicking on Slim, same file could not be loaded twice
- Removed “invalid response” status, as any server response is now acceptable for storage in hidden input.
1.0.7 | 16-06-2016
- Fixed problem where hidden input was not emptied after remove button press
- Fixed problem where certain crop results would be transparent on Safari / iOS
- Remove function now returns data object immediately when calling via API
- When setting an initial image, the init method will now be called after the image has loaded
- The init method is now always called after the Slim instance has been created
- Fixed problem where Safari would not restore input of type “file” properly
1.0.6 | 15-06-2016
- Fixed data object not being passed to remove callback
- Fixed destroy method not cleaning up properly
1.0.5 | 14-06-2016
- Source files are now contained in the package as well
- Minified files are now a little bit more compact
- Fixed problems with editing a single image
- Fixed problem where push option would not push after adding a new image
- Fixed problem where push option would not push initial image
- Fixed problem where editing a single image would show remove button
- Renamed the “reset” end point to “remove”
1.0.4 | 10-06-2016
- Fixed push option directly uploading on page load
- Now accepts cross origin urls. Make sure cross origin requests are configured correctly on the remote server.
- Now has the ability to load Data URI sources. File name will be set to “unknown”
1.0.3 | 07-06-2016
- Add option to preload server image
- Fixed bug where second file would not be allowed to drop on Firefox
- Fixed bug where blurring in image editor was incorrect when loading a new image
- Fixed bug where data size would not resize bigger portrait images properly
- Added onRemove proeprty so it’s possible to handle removal of images
- Added onInit property so it’s possible to detect when Slim has initialised
- Slim.create now returns the created Slim instance
- Slim.parse now returns an array of created Slim instances
1.0.2 | 03-06-2016
- Fixed problem where image editor button captions would not change to set labels
1.0.1 | 02-06-2016
- Fixed problem where image was uploaded as PNG instead of JPEG
- Added functionality which corrects JPEGs uploaded as PNGs (which sometimes happens on older browsers). Slim now makes sure the extension matches the image format.
- Improved performance of image editor
- Fixed window resizing render problems in image editor
- Plus various small code optimisations
1.0.0 | 26-05-2016
- Initial release