Have you ever wanted to launch your own instant messenger, like WhatsApp or Kik?
Accumulating thousands of users in your app?
This project gives you the possibility of doing this. It is a complete instant messenger application built for iOS (iPhone, written in Objective-C), very similar to Whatsapp and Kik or even Facebook’s well-known iOS messenger app. Users are able to send instant messenges to other users and add their friends as their contacts to the app. Besides sending simple text messages, you can also send photos and videos, or even stickers.
This project also features an online indicator system, showing you who of your friends is currently online, and who currently isn’t. And when sending a message, you will automatically see when the other user reads it, because the messenger has a built-in read receipt system.
You also have the possibility to create large groups with all of your friends, with no caps on the number of participants
Demo (due to multiple requests)
If you want to see a demo of the project, you can download a redesigned version of the app here. Note that the version on the app has another design as well as location and audio messages, which are not supported out-of-the-box by this project here.
Back4app an Firebase backend
This app has been built with back4app and Firebase as backends. Both services have great free plans, so you can launch this app without having to pay for servers. Firebase has the enormous advantage that it really is lightning fast, so you can send messages that are instantly delivered.
This project enables you to launch your own instant messenger for iOS. Here is a short list of some of the main features you’ll get when downloading it:
This is what a normal user will get :
- Instant text messaging to other users (latency of 100ms)
- Send photos, videos and stickers
- Login via Facebook or your email address
- Create group conversations, give the group a name and a group picture
- See who is online with the online indicator system
- Receive notifications when you get a message
- Block users who are getting on your nerves
- Personalize your profile and private settings
- See who of your phone contacts has already registered and add your friends as your contacts to the app
- Instant messenger with Parse API (installed on back4app) and Firebase as backend (both services have good free plans, so you don’t have to pay a single dollar to launch and run this project)
- See all your user data and messages in your database
- Great and well-documented code that is easy to customize and modify according to your personal needs
- Complete documentation and Getting Started Guide of the project, guiding you through the setup of the app and the basic features of the project
- The project comes with a Getting Started Guide that helps you in case you have any questions. However, if you still have some questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me, I’ll be happy to help you.
- No need for server side programming
Questions? Feel free to contact me any time!