OverviewGiggy is a great solution for those who need to quickly build a mobile app where people can offer or search for quick jobs and earn some extra cash.
* In case your device will show a Toast message saying “Can’t open file”, just download the Astro File Manager app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro&hl=en
and use it to install the APK. This may happen because of new Android Security options *
DescriptionGiggy is a full-working template (UI + Source Code) that works as a portal to make people post or look for gigs around their area, get in touch with other users with the built-in chat system. They can also rate other people based on how the gig was about.
Users can also edit their profile, report inappropriate gigs or add them to their favorites, see notifications about ratings and favorite jobs, edit their own ones, and their profile too.
The Admin can daily check the database for reported content or users and take action for it, as well as manually edit data in the Database.
The design is clean, code is commented and project folders and files are well organized in the package.
The concept of this app is similar to Craigslist, where you can post and browse gigs as ads in the community.
• Check out the Features section below to see what this app does.
• Read the online Documentation to learn how to configure the template’s features and the database.
• Check out the Demo Database, login as:
• Keep an eye to the Change Log on the bottom of this page when an update gets released.
BackendThe backend of this template is XServer, so you can either buy the XServer REST API an install it on your own VPS server, or create an account on XServer.app and a Database for this app.
After performing the configurations mentioned below, you will run the app and see no content, so Sign Up with a test user in order to create a test account and start testing the app.
NOTE: in case you want to implement your own backend to this template, you do not need to buy the XServer API, nor create an account on XServer.app, but please be aware that implementing a different backend to this template must be performed by you or your developers.
Extended LicenseAs per Envato Marketplace Terms, the Extended License applies to all applications that charge money to their users. In case your users will not be charged of money through your own version of this app, you can still buy it under a Regular license.
Therefore, you must buy this template under and Extended License if your plans are either one or more of the following:
- Add In-App Purchase or any other Payment Gateway in the source code and publish the app for free on the App/Play Store – NOTE: If you want to publish your own version of this application for FREE only, then you can still buy it under a Regular License.
- Publish this application as a PAID app on the App Store.
- Transfer the live app of your own verison of this app on the App/Play Store to another owner by selling your ownership on flippa.com or similar marketplaces.
FeaturesJava/XML language – Native Android Studio project – Edit the template as you wish with the power of Android Studio and Java code.
Android 6.0 and above, Universal – Run your app on about 80% of Android devices
Backend with XServer – Built on a great and reliable BaaS that offers many features with just a few clicks, it’s super easy to create and set up a database on XServer.app, as well as use the XServer REST API hosted on your VPS server.
Browse Gigs by category – The Home screen offers the possibility to search for gigs by keywords or by selecting a category. A slider will also give you the chance to find items between 50 and 200 Km far from your current location.
Favorites – Users can save their favorite gigs for later use.
Read and post reviews – Feedbacks are important for an app like this, so poeple can leave their own reviews for users, or read the existing ones.
Report inappropriate gigs – Unfortunately, not all people in the world is good, so the Admin must daily check the database to see if there are reported content, and take action for it.
Easily post/edit Gigs – People can post their offers by inserting a few info (title, description, category and picture), and selecting the location of gigs by tapping on a Map.
Chat with users – The built-in messaging system allows you to privately talk to people with interesting gigs.
Google Sign in – People can quickly sign with their Google account from the Intro page.
AdMob Interstitial ads – Get some revenue from full-screen advertisement banners
Modern, clean design – The UI has been carefully crafted to offer the best user experience to your clients.
Online Documentation – Read the extensive guide of this template to be able to configure it properly.
PSD icons included in the package – App and buttons icons are stored into a PSD folder, for easy image replacement.
RequirementsThe latest official version of Android Studio – Beta versions of an IDE usually never work 100% properly, and the code of this app has been written using the latest official version of AS (download it here. You must use it and avoid Betas.
An Apple Mac or Windows computer, updated to its latest OS version – It’s always good to keep your computer’s OS up to date, technology keeps growing and I follow its changes, as well as updating my templates every time a new OS gets released.
A Google Play Developer Account – This is needed for you to publish apps on the Play Store. You can still edit and test this template on Android Studio without that account though.
Basic knowledge of Android Studio and Java/XML language – You don’t need to be a skilled or professional developer, anyway it’s recommended to have at least the basic knowledge of what you’re dealing with, in order to be able to customize this template and publish your applications on the Play Store.
XServer API – You can either create an account and a Database on XServer.app, or buy the XServer REST API and host it into your own VPS server.
An active AdMob account – Unless you want to remove ads in this app, you need to sign up for an AdMob account to display them.
A real device to test the app before submitting it to the Play Store – Emulators may fail during tests, they are not reliable as a real device is, so I strongly recommend you to always run this application on a real phone/tablet. This is also suggested by Google’s official Guidelines.
A Google Map Android SDK key – You must enable the Google Maps SDK for Android from the Google Cloud Platform, along with a Billing Account
September 25, 2020
- Updated to Android Studio 4.0.1
- Moved this line out if its IF statement in the 'UserProfile.java', 'GigDetails.java' and 'Home.java' files:
September 11, 2020
- Edited the 'XSObject()' function in the 'XServerSDK.java', now it can retrieve the saved data as a JSON object, so it can be used withint the saving function
- Edited all the calls of the 'XSObject()'' function in the java files where such call is present
August 18, 2020
** MAJOR UPDATE **
Replaced Parse Server with the XServer backend: https://xserver.app
Please read the Documentation and this page for more info
May 7, 2020
- Updated to Android Studio 3.6.3 - Added this line side the <application> tag in the 'Manifest.xml' file: android:requestLegacyExternalStorage="true" This fixes the issue on taking pictures with the camera on Android 10 devices
March 10, 2020
- Updated to Android Studio 3.6.1
- Added this line of code on the top of the onCreate() function in all Java Activity files: