20 JAN 2023 • Android 13 support added • All libraries updated • Gradle and build tools updated • Android 12 notification fixed • Redundant test files removed
11 Mar 2022 • Updated all libraries • Updated gradle • Added support for android 12 • Added notification channel to support api 26+ devices • Fixed loading name issue • Updated urls • Removed unnecessary permissions • Apk updated
26 Jul 2021 • Updated Code to Androidx • Resolved all the issues and crashes • Update all the libs to Androidx version support
1 Sep 2020 • UI/UX enhancements. Theme updated. Buttons style updated. Android Material Design implemented. • APK updated.
20 Aug 2020 • Updated with new UI.
13 Jul 2020 • Firebase push notification implemented. Manifest updated. libraries updated. • Project complete files uploaded. Screenshots, Documentation, and app files.
17 Sep 2019 • Fixed issue “Android Api (Okhttps) not getting called in Android 9(pie) and above
18 July 2019 • Applied Async-Task for getting all News from server-side • Fixed Design issues using Card-View design techniques • Applied latest technique “Recycler view” for News listing • Improved and modified News tab View • Fixed crash issues on the website • Improved response time of loading news
8 May 2018 • Changed Parse verison in build.gradle into 1.16.0, due to some issue on the latest Parse SDK and FCM: implementation 'com.parse:parse-android:1.16.0' • Added Firebase FCM into build.gradle(Module:app) and (Project:Feedews) • Added a google-services.json file into the 'app' folder, as per FCM requirerements • Updated the Documentation
15 April 2018 • Updated to Android Studio 3.1.1 • Removed all dependencies of play-services | left only this one in build.gradle: implementation 'com.google.android.gms:play-services:+'
11 April 2018 • Updated to Android Studio 3.1 • Updated 'compileSdkVersion' and 'targetSdkVersion' to 27 in build.gradle • Replaced 'compile' with 'implementation' in build.gradle (Module: app) • Updated classpath 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:3.1.1' in build.gradle (Project:) • Removed the ProgressDialog code in Home.java | replaced with the 'pd.SetMessage()' with 'Configs.showPD()' instance
Jan 21th 2018 • Added this line in the dependencies list of build.gradle (Module: app): compile 'com.squareup.okhttp3:okhttp:+'
Feedews gets its name from 2 words: feed and news. This is an RSS feed reader to get all news in one place, there are several Categories and you can share articles to social networks and email by opening links to your device’s internet browser and use the share function.
This app also works with Parse Push Notifications, you can send pushes to all registered users by using the Parse Push web console on https://back4app.com
Since its Push Notifications system is by Parse you don’t have to buy any domain/hosting, there are NO PHP files to upload to a web server so you’ll save some money for server side.
Feedews is a native Android Studio project, Java/xml language, Universal, super easy to customize. All RSS links are stored in strings.xml files and the User Guide included in the package shows how to edit them.
PLEASE NOTE that those RSS links are for DEMO PURPOSES only, you should use your own ones and also may need to grant the Rights to make them visible in your app due to some Copyright Policies of the RSS links owners.
About Parse SDK and back4app
Read this article for more info about back4app and Parse SDK: https://hubpages.com/technology/Parse-SDK-will-not-shutdown-in-thanks-to-back4app
Can I host Parse Server on my own server?
Yes, although I don’t provide support for the setup process, you can read the official Guide here: http://parseplatform.org
What about free support for this template?
I can offer free support for bugs encountered in the original code. Instead, if you’ve edited the code and messed something up with it, I may apply some fee to fix it either via TeamViewer or by checking your app project files directly on my computer.
How do I rename the app’s package name?
Read this tutorial to learn how to rename a package name: https://hubpages.com/technology/Android-How-to-rename-an-app-package
Should I use the latest version of Android Studio to edit this template?
Yes, I always update my apps to the latest version of the IDE and you also should make sure you’ve updated the Android Tools to their latest version of the Android SDK manager.
The demo APK crashes on startup
Make sure that the minimum Android version of your device is the one listed in the FEATURES section below. If the problem persists, please contact me by my profile’s contact form and send me the Logcat message of you get when the app crashes along with the steps you made to reproduce the crash. Please note that not all real devices print an error Logcat message, in this case just run the APK into the Android Studio’s emulator and you’ll surely get the red messages about your issue.
How do I remove AdMob banner ads?
- Enter the .xml files where there’s an AdView and remove its code:<com.google.android.gms.ads.AdView android:id="@+id/admobBanner" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" ads:adSize="BANNER" ads:adUnitId="@string/ADMOB_BANNER_UNIT_ID" android:layout_alignParentBottom="true" android:layout_centerHorizontal="true"> </com.google.android.gms.ads.AdView>
- Enter the .java files where there’s an AdRequest instance into its onCreate() method and remove its code:// Init AdMob banner AdView mAdView = (AdView) findViewById(R.id.admobBanner); AdRequest adRequest = new AdRequest.Builder().build(); mAdView.loadAd(adRequest);
- Lastly, remove the play-services-ads reference in the build.gradle file:compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:+'
- Android Studio 3.x project – Universal
- Android 5.0+ – Backend with Parse SDK hosted on https://back4app.com
- AdMob banners
- You can translate this app into other languages – Italian demo language included
- Send Push Notifications to all registered devices via Push web console on back4app
- Easily store your RSS links into string.xml files
- Editable Categories
- Mini browser implemented
- Nice User interface
- Documentation included
- Well commented code
- PSD icon files included
- Apple Mac or Windows PC with their latest OS version installed
- The latest version of Android Studio and some knowledge about its UI interface
- Photoshop or any other image editor software
- A Google Developer account to submit apps to the Play Store
- An AdMob account to generate your own banner UNIT ID
- A free account on back4app.com