OverviewAskk is a great solution for those who need to quickly build a mobile app where people can ask any question and get answers for free form the community
* In case your device will show a Toast message saying “Can’t open file”, just download the Astro File Manager app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro&hl=en
and use it to install the APK. This may happen because of new Android Security options *
DescriptionAskk is a full-working template (UI + Source Code) where people can post, browse or edit questions and answers, help users who need to know something about any topic or just get answers to their own questions.
Users are also allowed to post anonymous questions/answers, report inappropriate content/users, like and dislike answers, and share questions to social network apps, email, and SMS.
The Admin should daily check the database for reported content/users, and take action for it.
The design is clean, code is commented and project folders and files are well organized in the package.
• Check out the Features section below to see what this app does.
• Read the online Documentation to learn how to configure the template’s features and the database.
• Check out the Demo Database, login as:
• Keep an eye to the Change Log on the bottom of this page when an update gets released.
BackendThe backend of this template is XServer, so you can either buy the XServer REST API an install it on your own VPS server, or create an account on XServer.app and a Database for this app.
After performing the configurations mentioned below, you will run the app and see no content, so Sign Up with a test user in order to create a test account and start testing the app.
NOTE: in case you want to implement your own backend to this template, you do not need to buy the XServer API, nor create an account on XServer.app, but please be aware that implementing a different backend to this template must be performed by you or your developers.
Extended LicenseAs per Envato Marketplace Terms, the Extended License applies to all applications that charge money to their users. In case your users will not be charged of money through your own version of this app, you can still buy it under a Regular license.
Therefore, you must buy this template under and Extended License if your plans are either one or more of the following:
- Add In-App Purchase or any other Payment Gateway in the source code and publish the app for free on the App/Play Store – NOTE: If you want to publish your own version of this application for FREE only, then you can still buy it under a Regular License.
- Publish this application as a PAID app on the App Store.
- Transfer the live app of your own verison of this app on the App/Play Store to another owner by selling your ownership on flippa.com or similar marketplaces.
FeaturesJava/XML language – Native Android Studio project – Edit the template as you wish with the power of Android Studio and Java code.
Android 6.0 and above, Universal – Run your app on about 80% of Android devices
Backend with XServer – Built on a great and reliable BaaS that offers many features with just a few clicks, it’s super easy to create and set up a database on XServer.app, as well as use the XServer REST API hosted on your VPS server.
Browse and post Questions or Answers – Users are free to ask questions based on several categories, unlimited times. They can answers to any question, even anonimously
Search questions by keywords – Use the top search field to search for posts by typing desired search terms
Filter Questions by Trending, Latest and not answered yet, or by choosing a category – The top scrolling bar displays the category buttons to show questions based on selection in the Home screen
Report inappropriate Users or Content – People can help the Admin by reporting abusive posts or users, this is a good feature to build a stable and reliable community
Profile screen with avatar images – The account screen makes you know who’s in the community
Edit profile with Name, Username, Email, etc – Edit your profile and show people your identity, make yourself trustworthy
Set the Best Answer in a Question’s details page – The question’s owner can do that. This option gives the community the chance to quickly find good answers in the app
Notifications screen – Check out who liked or sent you an answer. if you tap a row you’ll be redirected to the user’s profile screen
Push Notifications – Users will receive notifications for likes and new answers
Google Sign in – People can quickly sign with their Google account from the Intro page.
AdMob Interstitial ads – Get some revenue from full-screen advertisement banners
Modern, clean design – The UI has been carefully crafted to offer the best user experience to your clients.
Online Documentation – Read the extensive guide of this template to be able to configure it properly.
PSD icons included in the package – App and buttons icons are stored into a PSD folder, for easy image replacement.
RequirementsThe latest official version of Android Studio – Beta versions of an IDE usually never work 100% properly, and the code of this app has been written using the latest official version of AS (download it here. You must use it and avoid Betas.
An Apple Mac or Windows computer, updated to its latest OS version – It’s always good to keep your computer’s OS up to date, technology keeps growing and I follow its changes, as well as updating my templates every time a new OS gets released.
A Google Play Developer Account – This is needed for you to publish apps on the Play Store. You can still edit and test this template on Android Studio without that account though.
Basic knowledge of Android Studio and Java/XML language – You don’t need to be a skilled or professional developer, anyway it’s recommended to have at least the basic knowledge of what you’re dealing with, in order to be able to customize this template and publish your applications on the Play Store.
XServer API – You can either create an account and a Database on XServer.app, or buy the XServer REST API and host it into your own VPS server.
An active AdMob account – Unless you want to remove ads in this app, you need to sign up for an AdMob account to display them.
A real device to test the app before submitting it to the Play Store – Emulators may fail during tests, they are not reliable as a real device is, so I strongly recommend you to always run this application on a real phone/tablet. This is also suggested by Google’s official Guidelines.
May 31, 2021
- Updated to Android Studio 4.2.1
- Updated the 'onStart()' function in 'Home.java' by using '.getInstance().getToken()' to get the device Token.
- Updated build.gradle's compile options as follows:
sourceCompatibility = JavaVersion.VERSION_1_8
targetCompatibility = JavaVersion.VERSION_1_8
- Updated the necessary dependencies in build.gradle
- Removed this unnecessary line in build.gradle:
April 15, 2021
- Updated to Android Studio 4.1.3
- Updated dependencies in build.gradle
- Edited the 'openCamera()' function in the 'EditProfile.java' and 'PostScreen.java' files
- Edited the 'fireInterstitialAd()' function in the 'XServerSDK.java' file
February 1, 2021
- Edited the 'XSCurrentUser()' and 'XSGetPointer()' functions in the 'XServerSDK.java' file
January 22, 2021
- Updated to Android Studio 4.1.2
- Set 'minifyEnabled' into 'true' in 'build.gradle(:app)' [in this way the code gets obfuscated as recently requested by Play Store]
November 19, 2020
- Updated to Android Studio 4.1.1
September 25, 2020
- Updated to Android Studio 4.0.1
- Moved this line out if its IF statement in the 'QuestionScreen.java' file:
September 11, 2020
- Edited the 'XSObject()' function in the 'XServerSDK.java', now it can retrieve the saved data as a JSON object, so it can be used withint the saving function
- Edited all the calls of the 'XSObject()'' function in the java files where such call is present
July 27, 2020
** MAJOR UPDATE **
Replaced Parse Server with the XServer backend: https://xserver.app
Please read the Documentation and this page for more info
May 7, 2020
- Updated to Android Studio 3.6.3 - Added this line side the <application> tag in the 'Manifest.xml' file: android:requestLegacyExternalStorage="true" This fixes the issue on taking pictures with the camera on Android 10 devices
March 23, 2020
- Added this third-party dependency in the 'build.gradle' file: // PhotoView - to Zoom images implementation 'com.github.chrisbanes:PhotoView:2.3.0' • Downloaded here: https://github.com/chrisbanes/PhotoView - Replaced the 'qsImagePreview' ImageView with a 'com.github.chrisbanes.photoview.PhotoView' View in the 'question_screen.xml' file, as it follows: <com.github.chrisbanes.photoview.PhotoView android:id="@+id/qsImagePreview" android:layout_width="match_parent" android:layout_height="match_parent" android:layout_below="@id/qsDismissImgPreviewButton" android:scaleType="fitCenter" /> - Replaced: ImageView imagePreview; with: PhotoView imagePreview; on the top of the 'QuestionScreen.java' file - Edited the 'QuestionScreen.java' file, in order to make you able to zoom the full-screen image