Smart Security Tools is a powerful plugin for improving security of your WordPress powered website. Plugin contains collection of tweaks and tools for extra security protection along with Security Advisor that can help you determine what needs to be done. Plugin includes integration of Sucuri Free Security Scanner (shows malware on the website and blacklisting status on major security related websites). Plugin includes database based Security Log that can log different event types you can use to detemerime problems, potential attacks and exploits, IP’s used for access, referers, user agents… You can ban IP’s from Security Log.
Security Advisor will help you get started
Plugin offers tips on what you need to improve on your website. Based on the status of tips on this panel, plugin will calculate security percentage. It is important to follow all recommended tips and as much as you need optional tips.
Collection of easy to use security tweaks
General tweaks are easy to set up, and you can solve many security issues directly with these. Some of these tweaks, if active will also log security events into database.
List of general tweaks
- Prevent access to banned IP’s (v1.5)
- Prevent SQL injections
- Prevent too long URL’s
- Simple registration honeypot
- Remove errors from login screen
- Restrict username length
- Remove username from comments CSS classes
- Remove WordPress version
- Remove RSD link
- Remove WLW manifest link
- Disable XML-RPC
Collection of powerful .htaccess enhancements
Most important security features are implemented using .htaccess file in the WordPress root directory. This is available only for Apache (and LiteSpeed) based web servers.
List of .htaccess tweaks
- Prevent WordPress installation directory browsing
- Disable the Server Signature on server error pages
- Deny all comments requests with no valid referer
- Prevent access to WordPress root system files
- Ban access to IP’s banned in Security Log
- Ban access to additional listed IP’s
- Limit body size of a single request and file upload size
- Prevent access to XML-RPC due to Pingback Vulnerability
- Disable Trace and Track request methods
- Blacklist Query Strings using listed rules
- Blacklist Request Strings using listed rules
- Blacklist User Agents using listed rules
Security Log adds two database tables to log all sorts of security related events. For each event you will get information about user (or visitor), IP, user agent, referer and other information depending on event that can help you track sources of new security probes or attacks. You can ban IP addresses through the security log panel.
Analyze security logs for IP’s thread level
Since version 1.5 of the plugin, new panel is added where you can see aggregated log results for individual IP’s with estimated threat level based on number of logged events and events type. This will help you decide if the IP should be banned.
List of events types logged by plugin
- Login Error
- Error 404
- Error 404: PHP
- Error 404: Query
- Registration Honeypot
- SQL Injection URL
- Too Long URL
Other Plugin Features Included
- Change ‘admin’ username if exists
- Change any username
- Export and Import settings
- Support for Multisite WordPress mode
System and WordPress Requirements
- WordPress 3.2 or newer
- PHP 5.2.4 or newer
- Apache Web Server (for .htaccess based tweaks and tools)
- Access to .htaccess file (if not, you need to manually add changes to it)
- For .htaccess based tweaks and tools plugin supports only Apache (and LiteSpeed) web servers. If you use some other web server, you can only use other plugin features.
- Make sure you read plugin documentation and all the information provided by the plugin for each tweak and tool.
- If you make changes to blacklist .htaccess tweaks, or list of IP’s to ban, be careful with those changes, or you can even lock yourself out of the website.
- You are using Smart Security Tools for WordPress at your own risk.
Version 1.5 / 2014.01.27.
- Added: Panel for Analyze Security Logs
- Added: Panel for Review Banned IP’s
- Added: Panel for Plugin Update Review
- Added: Tweak to prevent access to banned IP’s
- Added: Security Log shows current IP
- Added: Security Log allows search by IP
- Added: Log Event: 404 Error with Query Request
- Added: Log Event: 404 Error with PHP File Request
- Added: Login Error Event: option to save attempted password
- Added: Logs screen options to change number of rows
- Updated: Information about some plugin operations
- Updated: Some small code refactoring
- Updated: External jQueryUI libraries
- Fixed: Several problems with the filtering of security logs
- Fixed: Broken links on the plugin Intro panel
- Fixed: Broken link for plugin panel on the Plugins page
- Fixed: Saving banned IP’s to .htaccess included duplicates
- Fixed: Few more visual issues with the WordPress 3.8
Version 1.2 / 2014.01.17.
Full changelog available on plugins home page
- Fixed: Critical error caused by missing function