Smart Posts Index adds new taxonomy called ‘Index’ (smart-index), and this taxonomy is added to selected post types for automatic assignment of index term to each post. Term is generated from post title and first letter is used, to get terms for letters and numbers: A, B, C, M, X, Z…
Changing post title, will trigger generating new term based on the changed name. All this is done automatically, on post publish action. You can also trigger re-indexing for all posts in selected post types. Plugin has function to generate indexer with list of terms linking to their archive pages. But, plugin also adds extra rewrite rules to implement archives for index terms for individual post types. Plugin can work with any theme, and plugin contains example templates for default WordPress themes.
Check out the video on how plugin works, and check out the demo page to see it in action. Also, please read following Important and Additional Support sections before buying. If you have any questions, leave the comment or contact me directly.
Index page for all posts or individual post typesIndex page can be for all posts or individual post types, and you can display few posts for each index term. Plugin can display index in two columns.
Indexer can be added as widget, using shortcode or functionIndexer is the list of terms linking to individual term index pages. Indexer can be added using shortcode, function or via widget.
Support for default and custom post typesYou can use this plugin with all post types (with some limitations based on the post type registration features). You can change rewrite rules for index page based on post type.
Built in styles and other options and powerful customizationPlugin has several built in styles and effects you can use. Adding new styles can be done by overriding default rendering functions and adding new styles.
- Supports all public post types with registered archives feature.
- First letter or number based indexing with many control options.
- Additional permalinks rewrite rules for index page and archives.
- Additional templates support for index page and archives.
- Rendering functions can be overridden for maximum customization
- Control over various parameters for added Smart Index taxonomy.
- Control over extraction of index term from post title with filters.
- Shortcodes for adding indexer or index list directly into posts/pages content.
- Includes detailed PDF user and developer guides.
ImportantPlugin is easy to use, but there are some limitations and requirements that you need to be aware of:
- Plugin can work with any public post type. But, there are limitation caused by the way some post types are registered (no archives, or can’t be queried). With such post types, some of the plugin features will not work. Pages and Attachments are default post types that have such limitations.
- With use of widget and shortcodes implemented by the plugin, you can have all the features plugin has working. But, for full experience custom templates for theme are required. Example templates are provided with plugin.
- Theme templates customization requires some basic knowledge of PHP and WordPress development: creating new template for a theme, changing template content, understanding PHP functions.
Additional SupportBecause of the nature of the plugin, some users might require extra help with it:
- Available on official website: tutorials with plugin setup, examples of template customization (upon request for specific customization topic).
- Available in official support forums: ask for help with a theme, provide archive and page template from it, and I will create template for this plugin for that theme.
- 3 basic styling themes for indexer and index page
- Built in support for TwentyTen, TwentyEleven, TwentyTwelve and TwentyThirteen themes
- Support translation and includes POT file
Version 1.6 / 2014.04.17.
- Added: compatibility with the latest WordPress 3.9
- Added: templates for direct integration for TwentyFourteen theme
- Changed: improved detection and loading of templates
- Changed: few visual improvements to the main interface
- Fixed: broken templates for TwentyThirteen theme
- Fixed: missing function for checking user roles
- Fixed: missing function is_odd used for indexer
- Fixed: using invalid constant for EOL string
- Fixed: wrong filter name for styles control
Version 1.5 / 2013.10.09.
- Added: few more filters to control rendering process
- Added: elegant compact rendering style for index and indexer
- Added: index page effect: automatic two columns layout
- Added: templates for direct integration for TwentyThirteen theme
- Changed: all rendering functions expanded and improved
- Changed: smart index taxonomy registration improved
- Changed: index home ordering for posts changed to title
- Changed: several plugin default settings values
- Fixed: in some cases index page showing terms with no posts
- Fixed: invalid names for some of the rendering filters
- Fixed: rendering order for function that generates home index
- Fixed: several typos in the admin interface descriptions