Current version: 1.5
Ever wanted to hold a “Hot or Not” contest on your site? The Hot or Not plugin for WordPress now lets you do that, in fact you could potentially create a whole site around the concept using our plugin.
What’s New in v1.5?
- Group vs Group Battles: You asked for it, you got it! Set the Bees against the Wasps, the Phones against the Tablets, Justin Beiber fans against Zombies!
- Yes/No mode for Hot Or Not: A highly requested feature and finally available! You can now set your Hot or Not contests to use a choice, rather than numbers for rating. It’s customizable too!
- Vote Lifespan: Now you can auto set your votes and battle data to get automatically reset after a set number of days. Choose between 1 day, 7 days, 30 days, 6 months, 1 year or just keep them forever. This is a beta and experimental feature.
- Affiliate or Competitor Links: Choose whether you want to “give external links priority over competitor links”. You will find this feature in the “Common Options”, on activation it will set the link status of your Competitor thumbnails to either your affiliate links or the Competitor page.
- Affiliate Link Caption: Rather than just showing a link you can now give it a name, like “Best WordPress Plugin” and it will get linked with the URL you enter in the Affiliate Link area.
- Customized Headings: Last but not least, adding a customized heading to each and every single Battle or Hot or Not contest.
Add Ons (sold separately)
User Submit: Allow your visitors to upload Competitors. Try out the demo here.
...great plugin! Does exactly as promised…
...Awesome Plugin, Very easy to manage!!...
...In our first month since launch we have generated 1500 visitors with just over 10,000 page views with a big thanks to Showdown…
Once you download the plugin, simply upload it via your Plugins upload panel and activate. You will now see a dedicated menu for the plugin.
You can now choose your “Battle Mode”, set up your image configurations, edit the text if you like, update your settings and you are good to go!
Upload as many “Competitors” as you like using the dedicated Custom Post Type created by the plugin, once your image has been uploaded simply set it to be the “Use as featured image”. The plugin will automatically pick the image and use it in the Hot or Not and Battle contests.
You can even set up “Groups”, they work exactly the same as regular WordPress categories.
Hot or Not
You can set your Competitors to battle it out in the Hot or Not mode by using any of these two options for rating:
- Vote on a scale of 1 – 10
- Vote with a simple Yes/No option
Or, you can set your Competitors to battle it out in the ShowDown mode. Simply use the shortcode generator when you create a regular Post/Page and drop your battles in.
Don’t want to use it with images? Not a problem, you can feature text or embed videos as well! Check out our demo site for a live preview.
Translation + Text Customizations
All the text in the plugin is fully customizable, so you can use any terminology you like.
Plus it’s 100% translation ready!
Use the handy shortcode generator to enter your shortcode to show your contests in your Posts or Pages.
Want to embed contests related only to a specific Group? Not a problem, the Hot or Not script can segment via Groups as well.
Make Money with Hot or Not!
The plugin also allows you to customize the links on your images, so you can link them with your affiliate link to products and create a potential affiliate revenue stream.
Read about the latest update to the plugin on the ShowDown blog.
v1.5 ------- - Vote Lifespan - Affiliate or Competitor Links - Affiliate Link Caption - Yes/No mode for Hot Or Not - Group vs Group Battles - Customized Headings v1.4.4 ------- - Compatible with WordPress v3.6 - upgraded BlockUI JS to work with newer versions of jQuery v1.4.3 ------- - Addressed bug where showdown results was ignoring shortcode arguments v1.4.2 ------- - Removed transition if user clicks on Skip button v1.4.1 ------- - Fixed a "division by zero" bug v1.4 ----- - Enter a transition message - Hide IP address on front end - Hide Group name on front end v1.3 ----- - Set up "Battles" and "Hot or Not" contests simultaneously. - Restrict repeat voting on Hot or Not contests. - Ability to reset stats for Competitors. - Display Group name on Battles and Hot or Not contests. - Top 10 for Hot or Not contests, previously only available for Battles. - User initiated results sharing on Twitter and Facebook. - Custom widget available under Appearance > Widgets area. - Change color of Hot or Not contest voting buttons. v1.2 ----- - Fixed image filtering option in shortcode. v1.1 ----- - Fixed "Groups" filtering in shortcode. v1.0 ----- - Battle Mode. - Hot or Not Mode. - Backend Statistics. - Affiliate Link Custom Field.