Quickly & Easily Add Facebook OpenGraph tags to your Store!
The Facebook OpenGraph Module for OpenCart (vQmod) provides a very quick and simple way to automatically add Facebook OpenGraph tags to your OpenCart website for any of your Product, Category, or Information pages. At this time the Module does not support adding OpenGraph tags to the homepage. Homepage support is planned for future release when a custom module can be built allowing for the homepage tags to be specified by the user rather than attempting to automatically pull these tags from the various elements that may, or may not, be used on any particular installation.
Utilizing vQmod for OpenCart, this module contains only a single file to be uploaded, and does not modify a single core file of the OpenCart system. Instead, using the vQmod system, it dynamically injects the necessary code into cached version of the core files allowing for complete native functionality, while still maintaining the ability to update the OpenCart system without worry of overwriting any changes made by this plugin.
How it Works
There are several different elements from OpenCart that could all be used as information bits for the OpenGraph tags, so this is how this module forms the information it uses for the OpenGraph tags:
- Product Pages retrieve the name of the product and then appends the store name from the system settings area (i.e. “Product Name | Store Name”) to create the OG:Title. The OG:Image is retrieved from the main, or first, image listed for the product. The OG:Description is created by taking the description of the product, stripping out the HTML tags, and trimming any leftover white space.
- Category Pages retrieve the name of the category and then appends the store name from the system settings area (i.e. “Category Name | Store Name”) to create the OG:Title. The OG:Image is retrieved from the image specified for the category. The OG:Description is created by taking the description of the category, stripping out the HTML tags, and trimming any leftover white space.
- Information Pages retrieve the name of the information page and then appends the store name from the system settings area (i.e. “Information Page | Store Name”) to create the OG:Title. The OG:Image is left blank, leaving it up to the Facebook crawler to determine if there are any images on the page. The OG:Description is created by taking the body of the information page, stripping out the HTML tags, and trimming any leftover white space.
Compatible with OpenCart 1.5+ & OpenCart 2.0+!
This module includes two versions! The first provides support for all sites running OpenCart 1.5+. The second version provides support for all sites running OpenCart 2.0+. Simply install the version specific to your current version of OpenCart and within minutes the module is up and running.
Fully tested and functional with OpenCart 1.5.6 and vQmod 2.4.1
Fully tested and functional with OpenCart 22.214.171.124 and vQmod 2.5.1
vQmod is absolutely required to use this module! Please make sure you have vQmod installed on your installation of OpenCart prior to attempting to use this module. vQmod is a free download.
We also highly recommend vQmod Manager! This is also a free module for OpenCart which makes it remarkably easier to manage modules and clear the vQmod cache on demand, something that needs to be done when modules are updated, added, or removed from the site.
Included with this module are two vQmod XML Module files which are to be uploaded to the XML folder of the vQmod installation. One file is used for any storefronts running OpenCart 1.5+ versions, while the other file is used for storefronts running OpenCart 2.0+ versions. Only one file needs to be installed for the version of OpenCart that is being used.
Additionally for OpenCart 1.5+ installations that make use of the OpenCart Blog Manager module, there is an additional XML file to add Open Graph tag support to the blog category and article pages. This functionality is not included with the OpenCart 2.0+ version of this module. If there is specific request, and the latest version of the module can be provided, support for the newest version will be built back in.
Change HistoryVersion 2.0.0 (current)
- Tested & Functional with OpenCart 126.96.36.199 and vQmod 2.5.1
- Dropped support for OpenCart Blog Manager module
- Minor Fixes to URL and Image Methods
- Added support for OpenCart Blog Manager module
- Initial software release