• Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Hey everyone,

I would REALLY appreciate everyones comments on why I just got told this is not meeting the high standards of TF and was told if I change to HTML then it would be – here are the comments:

We’re sorry, your item milkywhite has not been approved for sale. The following reasons were given by the item inspector:

This File Did Not Meet Our Criteria

Thank you for taking the time to submit your work. Unfortunately this item doesn’t meet the high approval standards we have for the ThemeForest.

1 The design is looking good, simple, clean and organized. But, this item cannot meet the high approval standards for PSD Template. 2. However, it could be nice if you can convert this into HTML or CMS . But still, the design required some polishes before conversion.

We really appreciate you taking the time to submit.

kailoon

I have asked exactly what is stopping this being approved and what “required some polishes” consists of.

322 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

I wish you had a better screenshot but from what I can see this looks really nice! Unless there is something about the detail that I can’t see it looks good enough for the psd section. You can always send it over to Jeffrey.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

hey shadow – thanks for the reply – I’m sorry about that screen shot – here is a link to another full size:

click here

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

From the looks of it the design is very nice. But I think a little too minimal for the PSD section. I’m sure you can understand how much easier it is to make a template in photoshop compared to coding the whole thing to a working site. The submission process for PSD ’s must be more stringent.

I’m sure if you turned this into a site it would sell really well!

76 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
g_gilmore says

To be honest, you’d make quite a bit of money off of that if it were an HTML Template, looks great.

• Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

MarkBrodhuder – thanks for responding.

See this is where I disagree – just because a design is minimal does not mean less work went into the typography – spacing and balance – sometimes I spend more time on a minimal design.

I often feel from reading the forums that PSD Templates is not favored by either a portion of the community, or TF. They say high standards but yet some of the sites uploaded and not selling in the html category prove otherwise – as other authors have mentioned.

To say that making this into a html template would increase chances of acceptance seems rather like saying “we don’t really want PSD templates but make it into a HTML template and we’ll take it on”. Seems like a way of forcing people into creating HTML . I have no issue turning it into HTML and will in time, however I feel that there is a large customer base who want PSD Templates.

As for reviewers deciding on the “topic” of a design (cartoon – minimal – corporate – grunge etc) I think this is wrong – customers are the true mark of a design and saleability – just because I don’t like a design doesn’t mean someone else doesn’t, and sales would prove that – ie – let the purchasers decide.

Just because it’s minimal should not mean immediate disqualification from a category – that seems rather silly to me.

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Very fair argument, and I agree almost 100% with what you said. But I also did not mean that it should not be accepted ONLY because its minimal. I just meant that may be one of the deciding factors. I stopped reviewing for TF before we began accepting PSD ’s so I’m not aware of the reviewing factors.

It is a nice layout though. I suggest you re-upload it and request a different reviewer. Maybe you will have better luck. Or write Jefferey and ask for some advice. I’m sure he’ll read this post sooner or later, and be able to assist you further. Just thought I’d share my 2 cents to hold you over. :)

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

It has nothing to do with “preferring site templates over PSDs”. The idea behind our PSD category is that it should be reserved for visually amazing templates. Granted, we make mistakes from time to time when choosing. We’re working to become more consistent in this regard.

This template looks quite nice. If coded well, I would expect it to be accepted to our site template category by Jarel – though that decision would be up to him, at least initially.

• Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Thanks to all for your comments- I really do appreciate this area of the TF site.

I have to remark again that the reason for this template being rejected is that it was minimal in design – the finishing touches and layout however I believe to be to standard and the fact that minimal design is not really what the PSD section is for I have to again stress that I totally disagree – Looking in the PSD template category – select by sales – basically all the top selling PSD templates are minimal – funny that they were accepted and that a few were created by Collis….

I really did my research before starting this template to ensure I was creating something that was definitely in demand on TF to offer a wider selection to your customers – this is what I did – top selling PSD are minimal.

Again it seems to be that the only real answer I am getting is that if I create the html then (it should be) accepted – seems like TF are pushing and reducing options.

322 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

@jonathan01 – I completely agree. Some of the best sites on the web are minimal and to not acknowledge that as a fine design is cutting the category short. They mention that you can submit it to the site template category to give options considering the idea is the standards are not as high but at times it can seem like an easy way out.

by
by
by
by
by
by