2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
danpezet says

I wanted to buy something for $25, but refuse to deposit $30. If you would have allowed straight transactions, I would have bought from you. I will choose another source for my needs. Thank you.

5490 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

They aint gonna change the entire system, just for your $5 whinge.

But you could elect to pay via paypal, and swallow a $2.00 hit for the priveledge. This has been debated numerous times.

3059 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Hello danpezet and welcome to the marketplace.

Yes, this has been debated many many times. If you’re not aware, straight transactions are supported for an extra $2, or you can save on this extra $2 by simply depositing money. A lot of buyers deposit money because they wish to purchase multiple things (eg: a wordpress theme from themeforest, some photos to go onto their website from photodune, and some wordpress plugins to make their wordpress theme better from codecanyon).

But yes thank you for the feedback and best of luck with the project.

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
danpezet says

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, this seems like a shady system. I have now been reading posts from others who have had even more complicated issues with this deposit system. My feedback is this: make it simple and easy for consumers to make purchases. I’m moving on.

Regards.

5490 posts
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

2 million members ..

You are in the minority. Cya

170 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
michaeldale says

I agree with danpezet, the buying process should be easier.

6000 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

2 million members .. You are in the minority. Cya

I don’t know what they did for majority too. “Success” becomes a problem for our world. We don’t need to do anything after that, sadly.

The purchase options needs some flexibility not for apparent saving of buyer’s wallet but save their time and concentration. As the number of buyers grow, the flexibility becomes more important – not the other way.

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
anitagraham says

Another buyer here who looks at $2 surcharge vs $10 extra in deposit, which I may never use, and thinks… maybe I’ll look elsewhere. Just do what everyone else seems to do and charge a price. Don’t make it seem as though I am taking a penalty whichever choice I make.

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
jennmattern says

I’m with anitagraham. Being faced with either a $2 fee on a $3 item or a $20 deposit on top of the $2 already sitting in there, I just opted not to buy from Envato today.

The system gets incredibly frustrating when you’re buying the smaller items. And I’m pretty sure Envato is violating Paypal’s terms by charging that $2 fee for exact payments anyway. And despite what some moderators have said in the forums, it’s NOT a discount for using the credit system. For that to be true, the higher price would have the be the advertised item price and there could never be a “surcharge” which directly states you’re charging more for something.

It’s a shame because I’ve been a customer for years and have repeatedly talked up Envato marketplaces with my own readers and clients.

It’s not enough to make me stop buying from my favorite designers and developers, but it’s getting to be enough that I won’t support as many designers on GraphicRiver where the fee is a huge increase on the item price (unless I have a lot to purchase at once where the deposit can be used up right away). And I’ll most likely look elsewhere and use Themeforest and other Envato marketplaces as a last resort rather than my first stop.

5490 posts
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

@jennmattern.

Are you aware Paypal actually charge for their services?

Envato builds in a global ( surcharge ) which covers a lot of bases, to include the unsrcrupulous ppl who buy using paypal, then immediately file a complaint with Paypal.

There has to be built in buffers for this, to protect authors and the ongoing low charges of items within the market. It is all about balance.

Personally, I think Paypal should be scrapped, and Envato should opt instead for a proper gateway like Eway etc, but it will never happen.

Whilst I agree, buying a $3.00 item, and having $2.00 in credit, does in fact annoy when opting for the buy with paypal option and being screwed over with a 67% surcharge is a bit hard to swallow, the choice is that you can vote with your feet…

Perhaps Envato, may be considering a tiered system, remembering that surcharges also protect authors from being overly affected by rebuttles and refunds, whilst also keeping prices low, and thus allowing the majority of buyers to get items at relatively cheap prices.

by
by
by
by
by
by