376 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
RightHere says

Hi everyone,

Would you try to create a license key for your plugins?

If you are a programmer you can easily surpass this license protection. And we also don’t want to make it a problem for our clients to use the plugins.

I’m sure that some clients use the plugins on multiple sites even though they only have a Regular License (we still need the Developer License), but we also have repeat sales because the plugins are actually not expensive, and it seams like the Envato community is supporting each other!

Every time someone requests support we kindly ask people to go to our profile page and submit a “license validation”. I guess we could use the Envato API or this right? This way we at least know that we are only providing support to people that actually paid for the plugin.

I am aware of the entire license issues around plugins that use WordPress (and that they need to inherit the license), but I guess we can say that design and CSS is protected.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Best Richard & Alberto

3180 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a competition
+15 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Yep I’ve got validation on wordpress themes and newsletter plugin. Works a treat. Will do on my next standalone app to see how it goes.

376 posts
+9 more
RightHere says

Yep I’ve got validation on wordpress themes and newsletter plugin. Works a treat. Will do on my next standalone app to see how it goes.

I presume this is something you have developed your self right ?

Are you validating that the plugin is only installed 1 time (per Regular Licence) or simply if the customer purchased it ?

3180 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a competition
+15 more
dtbaker Moderator says

There are numerous ways of validation. Unfortunately it is not viable to share a single method of validation, it would spread and there would quickly become a workaround.

Validation based on the users purchase code and the URL where they have installed the item. Multiple installations flag an alert, but 99% of the time it is clear that the buyer installed on a “dev” or “localhost” domain and the second installation is on the live site. This is fine.

It only becomes a problem when the buyer installs the item 4 or 5 times for multiple clients without purchasing the correct license, and those type of buyers generally request a lot of support, so I kindly point them at the licensing terms and they purchase more.

376 posts
+9 more
RightHere says

Hi dtbaker,

Thank you for the advise. We will definitely look into this! ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by